Forensic Science Centre of Lithuania provides forensic examination in the following areas:
- Handwriting examination - identifies the person who wrote and/or signed the document; determines the fact of distorted handwriting as well as conditions under which the document was written and/or signed.
- Authorship examination - identifies the author of unedited text; determines native or commonly used language, area where the language skills of the author where formed, level of literacy, profession, education, state of the author while writing the text; explains the text or its separate fragments and other pieces of language features.
- Examination of documents blanks, requisites and materials - determines and identifies technical measures and means used for issuing the document or parts of the document (printers, copiers, printing forms, typewriters, stamps, etc.); determines document materials (writing materials, inks, paper, glue); determines the fact and form of counterfeit, primary text of the document, damaging text materials (chemical and other).
- Examination of banknotes - determines counterfeit banknotes and materials, used for issuing counterfeited banknotes; determines whether several counterfeit banknotes have the same production origin.
- Speech and audio analysis - identifies the person by voice and speech characteristics from recorded electromagnetic signals; determines how many speakers are recorded, content of the phonogram, gender of the speaker, authenticity of the recordings (original or montaged) and recording or reproduction tools and conditions.
- Portrait examination - identifies the person from external features, captured in photographs, videotapes, digital media and other sources of information.
- Examination of various marks, traces, prints, imprints and impressions - identifies the object that left traces; determines class, group dependency, formation mechanisms of traces, state of objects, features, conformity to certain characteristics;
- Fingerprint examination - identifies the person who left fingerprints in crime scene; determines time, conditions and mechanism of fingerprints occurrence.
- Examination of motor vehicle traces - determines traces left on the road, roadside objects, vehicles, damaged parts of vehicles, clothing and footwear as well as their formation mechanisms resulting from an accident.
- Firearm examination - determines whether the object is assigned to the firearms and ammunition, the state and properties of the firearm, ammunitions or their parts; identifies firearm by traces on projectiles (bullets, small shots, pellets), cartridges and charging components; determines characteristics of firearm and ammunition, gunshot damage or shooting circumstances (gunshot range, position of shooting man, place of shooting).
- Gunshot residue examination - determines whether a person fired or had contact with a firearm according to gunshot residues on human body, clothing and other objects.
- Examination of non-firearms - attributes the object to the non-firearms; determines means of its production;
- Examination of materials and fabrics, including examinations of fibres, plastics, paints, oil and flammables, drugs, alcohol, glass, metals, soil, biological examinations (animal hair and plant materials) - finds and determines micro particles of materials, determines their nature, features, conformity to certain characteristics, group or individual dependency to one product, contact of specific objects, etc.
- Metallographic examination - evaluates thermal, electro-chemical impact of the environment on metal products; determines its cause, time and circumstances as well as type and time of metal fracture; assesses the quality of heat treatment, metallurgical and manufacturing defects.
- Banking examination - determines validity of commercial banking and other crediting activities, validity of loan classification and calculation of economic indicators, rightness of account and accountability in banks and other credit institutions.
- Book - keeping examination - determines deficiency and/or excess of material values and money means, period of its occurrence, means of concealment using documents of accountability, scale of property damage, accounting and control deficiencies, validity of credit and write off to outlay of material values and money means, validity of calculation of value of joint-stock or state capital, privatisation property and land.
- Finance examination - determines validity of calculation and allocation of profit (losses), wear and amortisation deductions, rightness of taxes and payments to state, municipality and social insurance budgets, validity of operations of inter - repayments of juridical and physical persons, validity of budget funds usage; evaluates lost profit for non-compliance to separate contractual obligations and economic-financial operations; determines the accuracy of financial accountability.
- Work economy examination - determines validity of calculation and payment of salary and other payments related with employer's monetary settlement with the employee.
- Road accident reconstruction - reconstructs road accident (determines mechanism); determines circumstances of the accident; examines the vehicle faults, time of their occurrence, relationship to the road accident, actions of the participants and circumstances that effected the road accident.
- Fire examination - determines fire centre, technical cause of fire, circumstances of fire; determines if technical means (technology process) correspond to fire-prevention requirements and regulations; examines causes and circumstances of explosions caused not by effect of explosive substances.
- Occupational safety examination - determines the mechanism and the causes of a work accident, and weather the workplace enviroment, the organizational and technical work safety measures comply with health and safety regulations and requirements, and are in line with the nature of work.
- Electro technical examination - determines technical condition of electricity accounting devices as well as the fact of usage of technical means in order to alter electricity accounting results.
- Examination of information technologies - determines factual data about computer equipment related with investigated event - hardware, software, data stored in computer data storage media, computer system; analyses functioning of the computer system and its role in the case of investigated event.
- Examination of video and audio tapes, CD's, DVD's, computer games in digital media as objects of intellectual property - determines whether the questioned object corresponds to the requirements of licenced copyright object.
- Digital imaging examination - determines what kind of objects (cars, weapons, etc.) or subjects are recorded in digital images; determines the sequence of actions performed by the subject; sharpens the image; determines whether the record is continuous; performs demultiplexation of multiplex video recording.